Thursday, February 22, 2018

One hour and fifteen minutes

I gave my lecture today. It was called "Refugees and Me: A Voyager in Greece." I called it that because we live at the Voyager RV Resort in the winter, and everyone who came to the lecture lives here as well." The talk lasted one hour and fifteen minutes.

I worked on this talk for about 40 hours in the last two weeks. The presentation had 36 PowerPoint slides which included about 50 photos. And a script, to keep me from talking too much or getting off the topic.

I have given other talks about my experiences in Greece:
  • Four and a half minutes last summer, for my church, to explain what Do Your Part does. DYP was the charity for the congregation for July and August 2016. They raised $4,000.
  • Fifteen minutes last fall for a luncheon celebrating the Year of the Girl.
  • Conversations at informal gatherings with friends.
Today was still not all I had to say, but it was the most I'd ever said.

About 60 people attended the lecture. No one left before the end. And there were questions. I couldn't have expected anything better.

This talk I will keep, to give again if asked. As I told several people today, "I will talk to you about my experience at the Greek refugee camp any time, anywhere."

This project felt like a term paper. Maybe a master's thesis!

Worth it, though.

9 comments:

joeh said...

Sounds like a big "Well Done"!!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Well worth doing!

Linda Reeder said...

Your thorough preparation is to be commended, but I would expect nothing less, knowing you just the little bit that I do.

Tom said...

Congrats to you; and I'm sure you'll inspire some people to make the move to volunteer if not for your cause, for some other worthwhile cause.

DJan said...

Congratulations on a job well done! I'm sure you will do this one again, for the betterment of all those refugees. :-)

Olga said...

As they say, if it's worth doing then it's worth doing well. I'm sure you will have chances to repeat this talk.

Madeline Kasian said...

I can sense how much those trips to Greece changed you. I bet you're looking for ways locally to do more of what you did there. I am sure I'd love to hear your lecture on your experience! So I am not surprised at the turnout and interest... Now more than ever, we all need to reach out of our comfort zone to help take care of one another...

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am sure your audience enjoyed your presentation very much. Have you ever thought of doing a Ted talk?

Dee said...

Dear Linda, this is wonderful! Now you have a fully developed presentation of something/someplace that is so important to you. You can get the word out. I'm so happy for you. Peace.