Saturday, July 1, 2017

Living normal

Last year I took eight trips between May and November:
  1. Tucson in late May, to get a root canal and a crown in Nogales, Mexico.
  2. Road trip to Oregon in late June for a family gathering.
  3. Muskoka, Ontario, in mid July, to visit a friend.
  4. Chautauqua, New York for a week of culture and education in early August.
  5. Oinofyta, Greece, in late August, to volunteer for six days at a refugee camp.
  6. Rockland, Maine, for a six-day schooner cruise in September.
  7. Vashon Island, Washington in early October for a five-day writing retreat.
  8. Oinofyta, Greece again, for two weeks of volunteering, in late October.
That was a lot of travel! 

This year I spent a month in the spring again at the refugee camp in Oinofyta. Since then, no travel other than one trip to Tucson to close up our winter place and bring Larisa, our Designer Cat, home to Seattle.

Now it is summer and I am having a normal life. It feels oddly quiet. Not exactly dull, but different. Here's the kind of activity I'm doing:
  • Picking strawberries from our yard and freezing them.
  • Wrapping the cat in a towel so my husband Art can trim her toenails.
  • Reading magazines as they come in the mail rather than letting them stack up.
  • Being the driver and advocate for Art as he has surgery for a kidney stone, the removal of a stent, and two cataracts. 
  • Hiring a new teenage yard person now that our grandson Kyle has outgrown the job.
  • Going through cupboards and drawers and closets for Goodwill runs. Today I took a bunch of toys outgrown by my grandchildren. I have fond memories of the Fisher-Price garage. And an umbrella stroller, which Goodwill won't take because of "safety issues". I'll wait until my teenage granddaughters visit to go through the dress-up boxes.
  • Keeping track of my eating and exercise as I head into week six of Weight Watchers.
  • Walking the two-mile route in my neighborhood several times a week.
  • Signing up for a yoga class for the first time in ten years.
  • Meditating for at least 20 minutes every day using the Insight Timer app on my iPhone.
I'm spending my days in such an ordinary way! I have absolutely no inclination to travel again this year. I probably need the rest.

And now the sun is out in Seattle. And the days are long. And there are two Adirondack chairs under my grape arbor, just right for a talk with a friend.

I get to be normal for a while. I like it. 

11 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

I like normal. I get the wander lust every so often, but a day trip usually takes care of that, and then home and normal feels just right.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Though this summer has you more at home than last I feel both are life styles that make you who you are. If you think about it as normal that is okay but my sense is each day is very special as are you.

DJan said...

I lost my travel bug years ago and am happy to stay home most of the time. Glad you are enjoying being "normal," Linda. :-)

Olga said...

I think you make the best of every opportunity tat comes your way. Now is the opportunity to renew and maybe relax a little bit.

Arkansas Patti said...

Even your down time is busier than most. You really do not waste your days. Kudos.

joared said...

Hope you enjoy using those two Adirondack chairs.

Dee said...

Dear Linda, it would seem that you are doing two things that truly appeal to me--going with the flow and living in the moment. I'm so happy for you. Will this become your new "normal"? Peace be to you.

TECH twitters said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Your life sounds so interesting and now you are having a chill-out summer. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I like to live a less hectic life. Maybe too much travel when I was young. I have to ask. What is a designer cat? My cats are jealous.

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Linda! It sounds like your summer is unfolding exactly as it should. And little bit by little bit you are "rightsizing" your house. It is definitely a process! I also admire you for taking steps to get healthier. That is something that is beneficial to all of us regardless of whether we have plans to travel or stay closer to home. Surely that offers us all more choices in the future. Have a wonderful time. ~Kathy