Monday, June 10, 2013

On safari: The last game drive

Our last game drive was the day before we left Kenya. I felt full hearted at all we had seen and experienced. I told Peter I'd like to spend some time with elephants. I suspected Art wanted to spend some time with giraffes.

A serval cat. Peter said they're nocturnal so this one was an unusual sighting.



Notice the hippo prints in the sand. It had rained the night before.




A mama hippo and her baby.

Hippo trail from the river to the grazing area.


Giraffe hiding.


These two male giraffes were "necking" - fighting with their necks. The winner gets the girlfriend standing nearby.

Roost for cormorants and egrets.

A solitary buffalo - the most dangerous animal.



Youngsters scuffling.


A thunderstorm was approaching. As we drove across the savannah, we were the only vehicle in sight. All the animals had disappeared into sheltering places. Lightning flashed across a dark sky. Peter was giving us a final gift - solitary time on the savannah.

6 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

What a beautiful trip you're having, full of sights, sounds, cultural icons of a world we can't get enough of. You're taking us along with this sharing, and we're most grateful.

Dee said...

Dear Linda, Peter was such a fine and wonderful guide. He must be a man of true integrity and his final gift to you was so thoughtful. Thank you for sharing it with us as I watched all the videos. My favorite wild animals--and I've seen them only in zoos--are giraffes and lions. So I was so tickled to watch the video of the giraffes and their necking to win the lady! Peace.

DJan said...

Now this is a kind of necking that never occurred to me. It was a great trip, and I truly enjoyed coming along for the ride! :-)

Arkansas Patti said...

I so enjoyed the photos and videos. Just wonderful and you got some really neat behavior shots of the different animals. I saw that "necking" on the show Africa and it can get pretty violent. Ah to be fought over.
I thank you so much for taking us along.

Linda Reeder said...

Serenity - indeed a wonderful gift, as was the whole trip.

Teresa Evangeline said...

A beautiful post. Just beautiful.