Friday, December 31, 2010

The night before the new year

My ten-year-old twin granddaughters are making believe in the next room, as they've exhausted their two-hour "screen time" limit for the day. My husband Art is reading his latest Lee Child book. In a few minutes we'll start our agreed-upon events for this New Year's Eve: we'll watch "Neverending Story", new for the girls, and "Up", new for me. And at midnight we'll go outside and wake the neighbors with our horn tooting - if we're all still awake by then.

This year was when I started my blog and stopped working. When I took eight trips in six months and read every magazine in my wicker basket. When I had my eyelids lifted so I could see again. When I set my first-year retirement goals and started working on all of them, albeit slowly, with a sense of purpose but no sense of urgency whatsoever. When I started living on my husband's income after decades of financial independence. When I learned how to snowshoe, made friends with my neighbor across the street after 15 years, saw David and the Pieta, offered to join the planning commission in my town, joined the neighborhood gym and started improving my balance. When I bought a Kindle, an iPod nano and an iPad but not a flat-screen television. When I renewed or deepened friendships, and found new ones in the blogging world. When I started remembering my dreams when I woke up in the morning.

It's been a very good year. Thanks for sharing it with me.


18 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Goodness, your year makes me feel like a slacker. Seriously, you have done it all right.
Keep up the good work and may 2011 be just as interesting.
Happy New Year.

DJan said...

It was a very good year, retirement has become a wonderful place to be, for you, as well as for me. I retired a little earlier but have enjoyed joining you on your travels. And I am happy to have found you and have enjoyed your blog so very much! I look forward to 2011 with you. :-)

Linda said...

I would say you've had a very good first year in retirement. I look forward to seeing what 2011 brings your way.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda

Happy New Year From Southern California.

Don't forget to watch the 122nd Rose Parade on New Year's Day coming from Pasadena, California...only 30 miles from The Old Geezer's home :-) If you miss the live telecast, I'm sure there will be lots of reruns through out the day.

No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy today, mix good cheer with friends today enjoy it and bless God for it. ~Henry Ward Beecher

May God Bless and Protect You in the Year to Come. ~Ron

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda Myers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally Wessely said...

Wow! What a year! I wish you continued growth and good changes in the year to come. I'll be reading all about it.

Cheryl Kohan said...

You have accomplished a LOT! Good for you. A very happy new year to you, Linda. I'm so happy to have "met" you.

Unknown said...

What a great year for you! I am jealous. May 2011 be even better.

Rosaria Williams said...

Ah, that first year! I'm on my seventh year of retirement, each year slower and more pleasurable than the previous. I spent my first one asking when the shoe was going to drop, meaning when does it get hard. It did. It will. You'll adjust; you will find a happy medium. All in all, your body will demand your attention more and you need to heed to its calling.

Glad to meet you.

#1Nana said...

Happy New Year! I'm so glad we have become cyber-friends and can travel this retirement journey together.
Jann

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

What a full year you've had Linda! And it sounds like you've enjoyed every single minute of it :-) I've got to say its been truly enjoyable getting to know you this year. Even though we haven't been reading each other all that long I love learning more about you, your family, your adventures. I hope you're having a truly blessed NOW Year even though we're only 4 days in so far!

Unknown said...

Look at all that you've accomplished in one year! Just imagine how much you'll accomplish in ten!! Happy New Year to you, Linda!

Tabitha Bird said...

Wonderful! Hope you also have an amazing new year :)

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Wow! That was one heck of a year, indeed! You should be so proud of all that you accomplished! Did you like "Up?" It's become one of my favorites! Here's to a new year, with new promises and new blogging friends! Cheers!

Jennifer said...

I love that we have shared 2010! You have been such a big part of my last year and a darn good part too! Blessings, Friend. I am honored to call you so.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I want to add, a bit into this new year, how happy I am that we met through our blogs. I always like hearing from you, sharing our experiences.