Friday, June 25, 2010

My goodbye email:

From: Linda Myers
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 10:41 AM
Subject: Thanks

To my colleagues:

Thank you all for your Friendship Fund gift. I bought a Kindle recently, and the gift card to Amazon will allow me to download books extravagantly. On our last trip - to Maui, in April - I took nine magazines and a book in my carry-on, and lifting that bag into the overhead bin was a challenge. On our next trip - to San Antonio, next week - I'll carry only my Kindle. Thanks also to my Application Development colleagues for the cash and the card. I'll buy espressos with that money. As I'm sitting in the sunshine at Starbucks on Monday morning, I'll remember you. Also, I promised myself I'd take a class in Flower Arranging for Dummies. Now that I've got the beautiful vase, I have no excuse to procrastinate.

I've been at WSIPC for 20 years. My goodness! How did that happen? I never expected to stay at one job for anywhere close to that long. But WSIPC is that kind of place. When I arrived in 1990, we were creating WISE. Now, in 85 more conversions, WISE will be gone. I've gathered requirements, created logical and physical designs, tested, documented and trained. And enhanced. And worked with clients to prepare for conversion - twice. Talk about the full product lifecycle!

Now it's time for the next part of my life. Travel, reading, writing, grandchildren, genealogy, volunteerism - or whatever the universe sends my way. Exciting and scary at the same time.

Bud, our pig, knows how to relax. I'll need to take some lessons from him.

My best to all of you and this place you call Work. Keep in touch!

Linda Granholm Myers
budsmom1@comcast.net
www.facebook.com
www.bagladyinwaiting.blogspot.com

Hugs from Doug, Willy, Sally, Don, Jean, Beth and others.

When I got home, I saw that Art had put the flag out!

3 comments:

#1Nana said...

It is 12:30 as I write this and I realize that you have walked down the hallway and out to the parking lot from your office for the last time. I look forward to reading about all your adventures.

I was in Texas (Austin) last week and it was hot and humid...pack light and don't forget your swimsuit!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I'm so happy for you, Linda. How nice the world must feel right now.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

That is a gracious farewell memo. Congratulations on this big step; I look forward to reading about your experiences as a newly retired person. And I love that the flag was out!