Sunday, March 7, 2010

It has happened. I have a weekend day and, at 10:20 a.m. , I am caught up with all computer and paperwork tasks. I even did the taxes yesterday, in one day. I have remaining three loads of laundry. And that is it for today.

This rarely happens, and I am nervous. What will I do with myself today? My sister suggests I go to the gym and then read a book. I probably will do that, as I am basically an obedient person. But I am reminded that, in 74 more work days, I will be finished with what I have been doing five days a week, 8 hours a day plus lunch hour plus commute, for 20 years. I will have 50 hours more time available each week for myself.

So here, on a Sunday, I have one half of such a day, and I am nervous. This does not bode well for my future after retirement.

On the other hand, I've developed the habit, over my working years, of cramming all the paper and computer tasks into an hour at night and then the weekends. It feels right to be working from a long to-do list and to have it completed by bedtime on Sunday night. So my to-do list is done for the weekend - except for the laundry, which is an intermittent thing.

Maybe I should put each of the 11 books currently on my nightstand on a to-do list to read. And each of the 23 magazines currently in the basket in the living room. That would give me a good start on my post-worklife tasks.

I wonder if I can wean myself from a to-do list.

2 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Linda, please don't be nervous. Trying to fill up time doesn't work. Having too much to do does work...and free time to indulge yourself is part of having too much to do. See if you can find something soonest where you volunteer. Volunteering at the library could be your answer...and I still make lists. Remember, there's gonna be a dip but awareness is power...it's gonna work out, I promise!

No Longer Blogging said...

Hi Linda,

Thought I'd pop over and see what you're up to. I have to say I'm still giggling. I so get the to-do list thing. I certainly don't have any words of wisdom as I am whining big time about being on crutches and spending most of my time in bed or sitting down.

But I do think Kittie is right. Things work out. They always do.